Sunrise

 

 

Middle Bass Island, OH - Stacey's Pleasure Hall in the 1880s, posted Oct. 22, 2010 - Updated Nov., 2010 and May, 2011

Stacey's Pleasure Hall was the name of the restaurant and winery sitting on top of the Wehrle family's Golden Eagle Wine Cellars for a few years in the 1880s and 1890s. Those wine cellars are still underneath the Lonz Winery building today and date back to the early 1860s.

The first four pictures are from stereoviews produced in the mid-1880s, with the first image showing the exterior and the next three showing the interior. The second of the two interior views shows two black bartenders and two black customers. Stacey's was known as a popular destination for a major celebration by blacks every June 16, Emancipation Day. (19th century photographers couldn't take pictures of large groups of people because the slow shutter speeds would blur the individuals. They generally just posed a very small number of people who were asked to sit very still.)

The next two pictures are from lithographs created using the Glaser Process in 1886. These started as photographs, with detail enhanced by hand.

The last two pictures are two views of the same picture of Stacey's/Wehrle's and the Middle Bass Island dock, taken from Put-in-Bay in the 1880s. The second image is a cropped and enhanced version of the first one.

The gallery below can be viewed full-screen by clicking the icon in the lower right. Bookmark and Share