Beach at North Bass sold to State
Article Courtesy of the Put-in-Bay Gazette
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) purchased another part of North Bass Island on December 26, 2006.
Honey Point on the southeast corner of the island was acquired from George Weisenbach of Middle Bass Island and his partner, Dan Slane of Columbus. Funds used in the purchase came from federal grants and State of Ohio money allocated for Lake Erie Island acquisitions.
Once owned by the Meiers Wine Cellars, the 17-acre point was acquired by Olaf Rasmussen in 1950. Later, the property was purchased by Hideo Sakai and his two brothers who used the land for hunting.
In 1994, the property had been reduced in size by erosion to just over 11 acres. Purchased by Dan Slane, seven acres were gifted to ODNR, designated for use as a study area for Ohio State University's Stone Lab.
George Weisenbach purchased a 1/2 interest in the property later in 1994 with plans to develop the remaining 4-acre site for lakefront homes.
The combination of ODNR's purchase of most of North Bass Island from Meiers Wine Cellars and the claims of the Ottawa Indians' attorneys that they actually own North Bass Island gave support for the ultimate set aside of the island as a nature preserve.
Both Slane and Weisenbach gifted a portion of the sale price to the State to help in the development of the project.
All Contents Copyright © 2000-2007 by Middle Bass on the Web, Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction without written permission is forbidden for any purposes other than personal use.
Revised: 30 Jun 2008 18:58:43.
This page has been accessedFailed to execute CGI : Win32 Error Code = 2